Local Union 710
Nomination of candidates for 20 delegate(s) and 18 alternate delegate(s) to the June 2016 International Brotherhood of Teamsters Convention in Las Vegas, NV, will be held on:
Date: January 10, 2016
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Location: 9000 187th Street, Mokena, IL 60448
The expenses of sending the delegates to the IBT Convention will be paid by the Local Union. The expenses of sending 18 alternate delegates will be paid by the Local Union.
Eligibility to Nominate
To be eligible to nominate or second, a members must have paid dues through December 2015.
Dues and arrearages must be paid by 4:00 p.m. on 01/08/16 at 9000 187th Street, Mokena, IL.
Workers in the seasonal food industry will be eligible to nominate and second provided they were in regular employment during some period of the twelve (12) months prior to the election and (2) paid their dues through the last month of employment.
Eligibility to Run
To be eligible to run for Convention delegate or alternate delegate, a member must:
- Be a member in continuous good standing of the Local Union, with one’s dues paid to the Local Union for a period of twenty-four (24) consecutive months prior to the month of nomination with no interruptions in active membership due to suspensions, expulsions, withdrawals, transfers or failure to pay fines or assessments;
- Be employed at the craft within the jurisdiction of the Local Union for a period of the Local Union for a period of twenty-four (24) consecutive months prior to the month of nomination; and
- Be otherwise eligible to serve if elected.
It is strongly recommended that each prospective nominee request advance verification of his/her eligibility to run for delegate or alternate delegate. In order to maximize the opportunity for the Election Supervisor to verify eligibility in advance of nomination, this request should be made in writing to the Election Supervisor as soon as possible, but in no event less than five (5) working days prior to the nomination meeting. The Election Supervisor will not be able to verify eligibility of any prospective nominee who requests verification less than five (5) working days prior to the nomination meeting.
Method of Nomination
Delegate candidates will be nominated and seconded separately from alternate delegate candidates.
All nominations of delegate and alternate delegate shall be at large.
Any member may:
- Be nominated and seconded orally from the floor by members in good standing other than the nominee; or,
- Be nominated and seconded in writing by members in good standing, orther than the nominee, unable to attend the nominations meeting. A written nomination or second must:
- Be submitted to the Local Union Secretary-Treasurer so as to be received no later than 5:00 p.m. of the day before the nominations meeting;
- State whether it is a nomination or a second;
- Identify the name of the person being nominated or seconded;
- Identify if the nomination or second is for delegate or alternate delegate;
- Be signed and have the member’s Social Security Number; and,
- Be treated by the presiding officer as if it had been made from the floor.
- Nominated or second more than one candidate;
- Be nominated or seconded by more than one member;
- Decline to be nominated or seconded by a particular person or persons.
Any member who intends to nominate or second may also request that the Election Supervisor verify his/her eligibility. All such requests must be in writing and must be received by the Election Supervisor no less than five (5) days prior to the nomination meeting.
Acceptance of Nomination
The nominee may accept either:
- In person at the meeting; or, if absent, in writing.
- If acceptance is made in writing, the document must be presented to the presiding Local Union officer no later than the time the member is nominated. Any member present at the meeting may produce the written acceptance at the time the absent member is nominated.
No member may accept nomination for both delegate and alternate delegate.
Any candidate for delegate and alternate delegate is permitted to run as a member of a slate, which is defined as any grouping by mutual consent of two or more candidates. To qualify on the election ballot as a slate, a slate declaration form, which is available from the Secretary-Treasurer of the Election Supervisor at the addresses shown below, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary-Treasurer, with a copy to the Election Supervisor, no lated than three (3) days after the Local Union’s final nominations meeting.
Any attempt by a person or entity to limit, interfere or retaliate against any IBT member for exercising the right to nominate, second or run as a delegate or alternate delegate, may result in disqualification of a candidate who benefits from the violation, imposition of criminal penalties under federal law and/or other consequences or remedy.
For additional information relating to the nomination or election process for IBT International Delegates or Alternates, please contact your Local Union Secretary-Treasurer, the Election Supervisor, or the Election Supervisor Regional Director.
The Election Supervisor may be contacted at:
Office of the Election Supervisor for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters
1050 17th Street, Suite 375
Washington, D.C. 20036
(844) 428-8683 Toll Free
Facsimile: (202) 774-5526