About Local 710
Teamsters Local 710 was a founding local of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and was issued its first charter on October 1, 1903. Local 710 was originally located across from the Great Chicago Stockyards on Halsted St. for more than 100 years, even after the permanent closing of the stockyards in 1971.
Local 710 also had a union office located in the Drovers Bank Building at 4200 S. Halsted St. until the entire building was destroyed by fire in April 1934. Most of the early records of the local were destroyed in the fire as well, save for the record of minutes of its membership and executive board meetings going back to the early 1920s.
During the post-war era, the country was experiencing rapid economic growth. With massive organizing campaigns in the freight and small package industries, Local 710’s membership quickly expanded as well. The union hall on Halsted was completely remodeled in 1957, adding an entire two-story addition to the north side of the building, establishing new space for members and business agents to interact. The 1950s also saw the foundation of the Local 710 Benefits Funds and the construction of a large meeting hall to accommodate the growing membership. By the mid-1960s, Local 710 represented more than 25,000 hardworking men and women.
In the years that followed, Local 710 worked to become a more diversified union, expanding its membership beyond meatpacking and trucking to beverage and spirits, dock workers, car haul and automotive, manufacturing, cartage, magazine distribution and office workers.
During the 1970s and ’80s, as some industries grew smaller, others blossomed. Together with other locals throughout the nation, the Teamsters Union became the primary representative and labor voice for United Parcel Service workers. Today, Local 710’s tradition of proudly and boldly representing these members continues with its fortified UPS membership of more than 6,000 full- and part-time workers.
In addition to UPS, Local 710 carried organizing successes into the 1990s and 2000s, bringing union representation and strong Teamster contract to workers in warehouses throughout the Chicago metropolitan area, as well as ramp workers, spotters, highway drivers and even more in the freight and transportation industries.
Today, under the leadership of Trustee Thomas N. Conelias, Local 710 remains committed to protecting the rights and advantages of its 12,000 rank-and-file members. For generations to come, Local 710 will be a leader in organized labor across Illinois, Indiana and Iowa, winning stronger contracts, settling more grievances and negotiating higher wages for countless working families.