The Teamsters Local 710 bargaining committee met last week at ReaderLink to begin negotiations for the contract expiring December 31 with an extension through March 2016.
The union presented preliminary proposals and asked questions in order to draft contract-ready language as negotiations progress. Negotiations are scheduled to continue at ReaderLink on January 19 and 28.
Union proposals and talking points addressed the following:
- Difficulties with union employees moving up the seniority list
- Information on use of replacement workers
- Changes of past practices without notifying the union
- Offering cross-training of union workers before temporary employees
- Issues with time clock procedures
- New branches and outsourcing
- Untimely response for union’s request for information
- Understanding of work rules
“We’re excited to keep all of our hardworking members at ReaderLink informed throughout negotiations,” said Bernie Sherlock, Local 710 Negotiating Chairman. “This process of transparency works well to keep the entire membership involved from the start and ratify strong Teamster contracts.”
Local 710 represents 190 warehouse Teamsters at the Central Distribution Center in Romeoville, Ill. facility who handle the distribution of books to various retailers.
The bargaining committee consists of five rank and file members, representatives and attorneys. Any questions regarding negotiations can be directed to any member of the bargaining committee or Local 710 business agents Demetrius Morton or Bernie Sherlock at (773) 254-3200.
- Bernie Sherlock, Local 710 Business Agent and Negotiating Chairman
- Demetrius Morton, Sr., Local 710 Business Agent for Readerlink
- Rupa Baskaran, In-House Counsel for Local 710
- Drew Gniewek, Union Counsel from Willig, Williams and Davidson
- Jesus Pantoja, 1st Shift Steward
- Donnette Triplett, 1st Shift Steward
- Nickolas Medina, 2nd Shift Steward
- Carlos Lozano, 2nd Shift Steward
- Terrenai Scott, 1st Shift Mod Lead
Teamsters Local 710 is an affiliate of Teamsters Joint Council 25, America’s premier labor union for Chicago, Illinois and northwest Indiana.