The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)
Teamsters Encouraged to Take Action Against Attack on Worker's Rights
ALEC: BAD FOR UPS
WORSE FOR YOU
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is an organization bankrolled by corporate money – including UPS and FedEx – to write model legislation that attacks middle class working families.
To keep you better informed, the IBT encourages members to read a letter from Package Division Director Ken Hall detailing information on ALEC. The IBT has also provided a flyer which members are encouraged to post on their union bulletin boards at UPS and UPS Freight facilities in order to get information out to all Teamsters.
Download ALEC Flyer for Bulletin Boards
ALEC is behind legislation designed to:
- Misclassify employees as independent contractors so companies like FedEx can increase profit by paying workers less
- Drive wages and benefits down
- Restrict your rights for claiming workers compensation
- Weaken safety standards on roads and highways
- Automate package delivery using driverless vehicles
- Support right-to-work for less laws that will weaken unions and make it more difficult to negotiate good contracts